Laser, GI & GI Onco surgeon
Laser Surgery for Piles
We Accept All Insurance
Dr.Purnendu Bhowmik is one of the leading gastrointestinal & advanced laparoscopic surgeons in Kolkata. He has been performing complex GI operations (Hepato-biliary, Colorectal, GI cancer surgeries), LASER surgeries for various proctological conditions, as well as, EVLT (LASER surgery for varicose veins) in Kolkata for considerable period with unmatchable success rate.
MBBS(Hons), MS(Surgery), FACS(USA), MRCS (Edinburgh), MRCPS (Glasgow), FMAS(Minimal Access Surgery), FALS(Colo-rectal surgery), FIAGES(Gastrointestinal Endo surgery), FAIS
CC Laser proctology (Poland),
CC Laparoscopic hernia surgery
Advanced laparoscopy, Laser, GI & GI Onco surgeon
You Have Reasons to Choose Us
More than 20 years of experience in Laser Surgery and Laparoscopic Surgery
We accept all types of insurance
Swasthya Sathi Card
Advanced Treatment Procedure
Certified laser surgeon
Our team of doctors perform even the most advanced surgeries
100% rate of success
NABH accredited hospital
We focus on health, hygiene and regularly sanitize our facilities
Highly experienced team of doctors
We have highly qualified doctors and experts with years of experience
What are Piles
As explained by the piles doctor, piles or haemorrhoids are a swollen collection of veins and tissues in your anus and lower rectum. Piles vary in size and can be located inside or outside the anus. Piles situated at 2 and 4 centimeters above the anal opening are known as Internal Hemorrhoids. The ones found on the outside edge of the anus are known as External Haemorrhoids.
Piles or Haemorrhoids can be classified into four grades – as discussed by the best piles doctor
- Grade 1: Small inflammations, usually inside the lining of the anus.
- Grade 2: These are larger than grade one piles. They remain inside the anus; however, they may get pushed out during defecation. They return unaided.
- Grade 3: These appear outside the anus and are known as prolapsed haemorrhoids. An individual with grade three piles may feel them hanging from the rectum; however, they can be easily re-inserted.
- Grade 4: Grade four piles grow large and remain outside of the anus. These cannot be pushed back in and require treatment. External piles develop small lumps outside on the edge of the anus. They feel itchy and can turn painful if a blood clot forms and blocks the flow of blood. Clotted external piles require immediate medical attention.
What are the advantages of laser piles surgery over conventional surgical procedures?
How to tell that you have piles?
According to Dr. Purnendu Bhowmik, considered to be the best piles doctor in Kolkata, you are likely to have piles, if you experience:
- Itching or irritation in your anal region
- Pain or discomfort
- Swelling around your anus
- Bleeding per rectum
When to see a doctor?
If you have bleeding during passage of stool or you have piles that does not improve even after a week of home care, talk to the best piles specialist doctor in Kolkata. (Do not assume every per rectal bleeding to be due to hemorrhoids, especially if it is associated with change in bowel habit and or change of stool color and/or consistency. Bleeding in your rectum may occur with other conditions, including colorectal cancer and anal cancer.)
How to prevent piles?
The best way you can prevent piles is by avoiding constipation and by keeping your stool soft. You can follow these tips:
- Eat high-fiber foods
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Consider fiber supplements
- Go as soon as you feel the urge
- Don’t strain
- Avoid long periods of sitting
Do haemorrhoids ever resolve spontaneously?
Small haemorrhoids may disappear without any treatment within a few days. But, larger piles need intervention to cure. If you have symptoms and have not improved with home care within a few days, it is best to see a doctor for piles treatment in Kolkata.
What happens if you leave a hemorrhoid untreated?
If left untreated, hemorrhoids can increase in size, upgrade and protrude out of the anus to cause irritation, severe bleeding and other severe complications. Moreover, if you avoid being examined by a doctor, you may miss other disease which might sometimes present as piles.
Is piles curable or not?
Fortunately, they are treatable and curable if managed properly.
Can laser piles surgery remove/cure haemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoid laser procedure (LHP) is a new technique in which haemorrhoidal arterial flow feeding the haemorrhoidal venous plexus is stopped by laser coagulation. Laser piles surgery, when applicable, is preferable over other form of treatment as it not only is a bloodless & painless procedure but also provides quick recovery.
How painful is laser haemorrhoid surgery?
Laser Babasir treatment, a term used for haemorrhoid surgery, is painless or in some cases, minimally painful.
Why do you choose laser over other procedures for piles?
- USFDA approved
- Day-care procedure
- Faster recovery
- No stitches, no wound, no dressing, no scar
- Bloodless, painless
- No need of prolonged medication
- No anal stenosis, no constipation
- Minimal recurrence, high success rate
What Causes Haemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids do not occur due to a single causative factor, says the best laser surgeon in Kolkata. Most often, however, they are caused by an increased pressure on the anal canal. This can be due to:
- Chronic (ongoing) constipation
- Straining during bowel movements
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Sitting too long on the toilet
- Strenuous exercise or heavy lifting
What Our Patients Say
Chinamaya SahooWas suffering from piles problem for long. Used to have bleeding during stool pass. Recently it became worse and the medicines were not working anymore. After a lot of research, chose Dr. Purnendu for laser piles surgery.
Mukesh Kumar BhagatI was suffering from Grade III Haemorrhoids, Dr Purnendu has suggested surgery and after Surgery I am doing well. He is very kind hearted, and listened to patients problem very calmly and accordingly suggest the medication.
Asish ChandraI was worried with my uncle’s piles problem for quiet a long time. Went through all those good reviews about Dr. Bhowmik and visited him. He made us comfortable from the very begining. Went ahead with the laser piles surgery…
Classification of a hemorrhoid
- External haemorrhoids, located below the dentate line, are covered with anoderm and consist of squamous epithelium. They are innervated by somatic nerves supplying the perianal skin and thus cause pain.
- Internal hemorrhoids, located just above the dentate line, are covered by columnar epithelium, innervated by visceral nerve fibers and thus cannot cause pain.
- Grade I haemorrhoids don’t project from your anus. They may cause bleeding, but otherwise cause relatively less symptoms.
- Grade II hemorrhoids are the ones that stick out from the anus during bowel movements. They go back to their initial position when straining stops.
- Grade III hemorrhoids stick out with straining or on their own. They do not get resolved by themselves, however, they can be pushed back into their initial position.
- Grade IV hemorrhoids are the ones that stick out, but cannot be reduced. These are extremely painful and require prompt treatment.
Symptoms and Presentation
Almost 40% of individuals with hemorrhoids are asymptomatic. For those who are symptomatic, there is great variance in the constellation of symptoms. For internal hemorrhoids, the following signs and symptoms are experienced:
- Bleeding: It is one of the most common symptoms that occur with defecation and is almost always painless.
- Pulling sensation in the pelvis: Prolapsed internal hemorrhoids are accompanied with mucus discharge, mild fecal incontinence, irritation of perianal skin, and sensation of perianal fullness.
- Pain associated with internal hemorrhoids is lesser than that with external hemorrhoids, but it can occur in the setting of prolapsed internal hemorrhoids that develop gangrenous changes due to the associated ischemia. In contrast, in external hemorrhoids, pain is most common due to activation of perianal nerves associated with thrombosis. People usually describe a painful perianal mass that is tender to palpation.
- Bleeding also occurs if ulceration forms due to necrosis of the thrombosed hemorrhoid
- ainless external growths on skin usually develop from previous edematous or thrombosed external hemorrhoids.
- Digital examination – It excludes distal rectal mass and anorectal fistula or abscess. Assessment of sphincter integrity during the examination process is important.
- Anoscopy-It involves rigid or flexible proctosigmoidoscopy.
- Colonoscopy – It is used for complete colonic evaluation.
Management (Conservative Medical Treatments)
Dietary and lifestyle modifications are one of the most important aspects of conservative treatment. Specifically, lifestyle modifications include greater intake of oral fluids, reduction in fat consumption, regularly exercising, and avoiding straining. Dietary recommendations include increase in fibre intake that lessens the shearing action of passing hard stool.
Nonsurgical Office-based Procedures (Rubber Band Ligation)
It is typically performed in the office and is used for grade II and III internal hemorrhoids.
It is used for patients with grade I and II internal hemorrhoids and may be a good option for patients on anticoagulants.
It refers to the application of infrared light waves to the haemorrhoidal tissues and can be used for grade I and II internal hemorrhoids.
It is based on the concept that freezing the internal hemorrhoid at low temperatures results in tissue destruction.
For symptomatic Grade ΙΙΙ-ΙV hemorrhoids and hemorrhoids resistant to non-operative procedures, a surgical procedure can be adopted. It is required in only 5-10% of patients.
The best proctologist in Kolkata usually performs two major types of haemorrhoidectomy: Ferguson, or closed haemorrhoidectomy and Milligan–Morgan, or open haemorrhoidectomy
An alternative to operative haemorrhoidectomy, it is a stapled procedure in which a circular stapling device is used to resect and fixate the internal hemorrhoid tissues to the rectal wall. The technique is also known as ‘procedure for prolapse and hemorrhoids (PPH)’. This is comparatively less painful and allows quicker recovery.
Doppler-guided Hemorrhoidal Artery Ligation
It involves a Doppler transducer allowing sequential identification of the position and depth of superior rectal arterial branches, which are then selectively ligated 2-3 cm above the dentate line. The interference with the blood supply reduces bleeding and volume of the hemorrhoids and symptomatic relief is usually evident within 6-8 weeks.
Monday, Wednesday and Saturday:
11:30 am to 1:30 pm
82/1, Raja Subodh Chandra Mallick Road, Beside Baghajatin Big Bazaar,
Apollo Clinic Sodepur
6 pm to 7:30 pm
10:00 am to 11:30 am
16, Barrackpore Trunk Rd, Sukchar, Girja, Sodepur,
Shanti Wellness Care
12:30 pm to 2:00 pm
(By Appointment Only)
50A Sarat Bose Road,
Opposite: Paddapukur Swimming Pool
Monday, Wednesday and Saturday:
9:00 am to 10:30 am
JC 21, Broadway Rd, JC Block, Sector III, Bidhannagar, Near Salt Lake Stadium,